MENDOTA- A home was severely damaged and four children escaped injury after a fire Saturday night near Triumph. Around 8:40 PM, Mendota and Troy Grove Fire were called to the 500 block of North 3972nd road after a neighbor spotted the home in flames. The children in the home, ages ranging from 2 to 12 years old, had escaped, but a six year old child reportedly re-entered the burning structure. A neighbor went into the smoke filled home to bring the child back out safely. The home was a total loss according to Mendota Fire Chief Dennis Rutishauser, who found the home fully involved when they arrived. A Mutual Aid Box Alarm was sounded, and Earlville, Peru, Utica and LaSalle first responders assisted. The fire allegedly was started by a dog knocking over a candle in a bedroom. The children were taken for evaluation by ambulance to the hospital and were treated and released. There were no injuries to first responders and crews remained on the scene until after 1 AM. Damage to the home was estimated to be around $135,000. LaSalle County Sheriff’s Deputy Felecia Rasmussen said they are accepting donations of clothing and other items for the family at the Sheriff’s Office in Ottawa as part of their Christmas for Kids program.
Boy 12 years old 14/16 pants and shirts and 7.5 shoes
Girl 8 years old 10/12 pants and shirts and 5 girls shoes
Boy 6 years old 6/8 pants and shirts and 5 boys shoes
Boy 10 months old 12 months.
The Red Cross was also called to provide resources to the family.