Open Modal
On Air Now
Up Next

Safe Holiday Cooking Tips

National Fire Protection Association

LASALLE  – If you plan on cooking up a storm for holiday celebrations, following these safety tips could help prevent a leading cause in home fires and injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the leading cause of fires in the kitchen results from unattended cooking. To cook with caution, LaSalle Fire Chief Andy Bacidore says be prepared and stay in the kitchen especially when cooking with grease. Having a fire extinguisher in a safe and accessible place can prevent situations from boiling over. He says baking soda can be used to put out a grease fire, but your first course of action should be throwing a lid on it, and never use water to put it out.
In the event you experience a cooking fire and have any doubts fighting it, the NFPA says just get out and call 911.

Recommended Posts